Fiberglass - deck and interior

November 2 - Over the last couple of days, the prep work for glassing was done. I did a final sand with 120 grit, got the hull masked off and draped, and did an initial fit of the glass for the deck. In the photos below, the first shows the masked hull, and the other two are after the initial seal coat was on. Click to enlarge.

November 3 - last night, the glass was wet-out. (First three photos.) This morning, a "rescue" foredeck reinforcement layer was added, and the first fill-coat on the rest of the boat. Tonight, the second fill-coat was done (first over the reinforcement layer). Tomorrow, the second fill will be done over the reinforcement.

Next photos: the reinforcement layer; the magic of the disappearing fiberglass (that just never gets old); and the lucky koi fish to ward off those damn jumping carp.

November 5 - All the fill coats are complete; just waiting for the epoxy to cure before trimming.

November 17 - Spent the last week trimming the excess glass a bit at a time; it's a bit of a pain. It's easy to let the knife blade slip and mark up the glass on the deck (even using a straight edge). Plus, you don't want to use too much pressure, or you risk scratching the hull. After trimming, it was time to separate the deck from the forms. You think it would pop right off, but between glue and epoxy seepage between the strips and through the staple holes, it took about an hour with a plastic putty knife and a tack hammer to pry it apart. I'll let it sit on the forms until I'm ready to start scraping the insides down in prep for glassing.

November 19 - Time to scrape. I don't mind the glue so much (even if it sounds like fingernails on a blackboard as you scrape it off), but the epoxy and blue tape takes some elbow grease. Two hours after I started, I had the inside of the deck done. The rest will come off with the ROS. Next up: scraping the inside of the hull. As always, click to enlarge.

December 2 - The inside of both deck and hull are planed and sanded, and I've schmutzed the gaps and larger 'steps' between strips that I don't want to plane. I've also built up a layer of schmutz around the inside of the stems, since there's quite a drop from the ends to the hull. I want to minimize the potential for any gaps between the glass and wood when I do the glassing. Once the epoxy cures a bit more, I'll sand it down.

December 16 - The insides are glassed. I went ahead and followed the instructions, which do not call for the seal coat like I've been doing on the outside. I think that if I build more boats, the seal coat will be standard. The fill coat looked really good last night before I went to bed, but this morning there were many air bubbles, most small but a few the size of a quarter. I did the one fill coat, and once that dries, I'll use a syringe and needle to inject epoxy into the larger bubbles.

Onward to the coaming!